With passing time, companies have been witnessing a huge intensification in security breaches because of scammers and spammers. These breaches do result in unfortunate customer experience and result in a reduction in customer retention. At times, it can affect your brand and show its consequence in financial and legal repercussions. For lessening the probabilities for compromised security, an excellent solution is continuously utilizing the verification of the phone for authenticating phone numbers at each and every stage of the lifecycle of the customers that comprise transaction authentication, account creation, and on-going customer engagement activities. As countless mobile phone numbers are registered all over the world, the mobile phone number is considered the final way for verifying user identity.
The best practices
Following are some best user management practices where mobile Verification does increase safety and improve customer retention and acquisition:
- Authenticate registration – At times, when a novice user does get registered for your application, then verification of phone aids in authenticating identity. For instance, a new user who has downloaded an application and registered a novice account will get a PIN code through a messaging service, like SMS, Facebook Messenger, Viber, WhatsApp, MMS, or through a voice message for being entered in the app.
- Authorize upgrades – Numerous applications do employ a freemium model, which means the fundamental app happens to be free for use. On the contrary, a premium version can get accessed through a paid upgrade.
- Reset passwords – When users log into an application from an unidentified or substitute device, like with a dissimilar IP address from the one which is registered in his profile, and requests password reset, then sending a code for verifying the identity of the user can help in lessening fraud and recognizing theft.
- Reactivate a user – When a user of a website or an application tries to sign in after a prolonged period of activity, then a verification process can help in ensuring that the user is genuine in place of a spammer or a hacker.
- Refresh user details – Transformations in the user profile information ought to be confirmed with a modest message to the mobile linked to an account, and this step will authenticate the change.
- Authenticate the transaction process – Confirming a transaction with real-time communications lessens costly fraud resolution significantly. Needing users’ authentication at this moment through mobile phone authentication is highly effective at lessening suspicious activities. And so, many e-commerce and payment applications and websites today go through transactions’ authentication with an OTP (one-time password) via an SMS.
Utilization of the biometrics
For mobile verification, the use of biometrics is vital for connecting a device to one person so that it doesn’t fall under the hands of the scrupulous people. This lessens the unlawful use of the devices. However, the newest project called SECURE PHONE has managed to take biometrics to an entirely new approach. It allows a person to sign text, audio and even image files in the form of a proof of its authenticity and originality. The biometric data is commonly stored in the person’s SIM card and it can be accessed through a verification module that runs on the SIM card.