Choosing a hosting plan is an important decision for your website. A web host provides the server where your website lives and therefore, choosing a good host is important for the overall performance of your site. Most site owners are overwhelmed by the number of options available in hosting like Cloud Hosting, VPS Hosting, Shared Hosting, Dedicated Servers, etc. In recent years though, Cloud Hosting has evolved as one of the most preferred hosting types by many site owners. But, should you opt for managed or unmanaged services? In this article, we are going to talk about all that you need to know about Managed Cloud Hosting services.
What is Cloud Hosting?
In Cloud Hosting, your website is hosted on multiple servers – the ‘Cloud’. However, the resources are separated by the process of virtualization to enable each unit or device to make optimum use of their respective resources.
Cloud Hosting services are available as Managed or Unmanaged services. In Managed Cloud Hosting services, a team of experts provided by the host takes care of the hardware and OS upgrades, security fixes, and port accesses. Here are some benefits offered by Managed Hosting services:
- Lower Costs – If you decide to manage the website hosting on your own, then you will need a database administrator, system administrator, and several other staff members to take care of the technical aspects of hosting your website. In managed services, you eliminate these costs.
- 24×7 Support – With managed services, technical support is provided 24x7x365. In today’s times, with users expecting websites to be operational around the clock, this means that you can take care of any technical issues that may arise.
- Security – In managed services, the hosting provider runs regular virus scans, filters spams, and takes care of security-related issues for you. Hosting providers also check for vulnerabilities before the servers are attacked.
- Constant Server Monitoring – Apart from security monitoring, managed services also include constant server monitoring to ensure that everything is functioning fine and there are no technical glitches. In unmanaged hosting, you will need skills as well as manpower to take care of these activities for you.
- Backups – Backing up your data is important so that in case of any disaster you don’t lose your data. In managed services, the host backs up your data automatically and offers a safety net to you. You need to take backups of your own too but this works as an additional benefit. In unmanaged plans, the responsibility of a backup falls completely on your shoulders.
Unless you have a team of experts who can manage your web hosting services, a managed Cloud Hosting service is usually recommended. By delegating the technical aspects of your hosting service to the provider, you can dedicate more time to establish and grow your business. We hope you have a better idea about managed hosting services now. Do let us know your thoughts or queries in the comments below.